When your vacuum cleaner takes all your cleaning burden away from you, it becomes your responsibility to keep it clean too. After all, it takes all the beating by sucking loads of dust and debris. It, then, transfers the trash to the baggage. So, during the whole process, it keeps on transferring the dirt from one place to another.
But a vacuum cleaner will do all the cleaning effectively only if it is clean itself. Furthermore, a clean vacuum is a safe vacuum. Like any other appliance, it needs your care and maintenance. Vacuum cleaners are an investment these days, especially for busy millenials and investments always demand proper care. You have spent your hard-earned money on it.
Why does a vacuum cleaner need cleaning?
A vacuum is one of the hard-working pieces of kit to give your life ease [rest, relief, comfort], but it requires some effort to take care. You have to take off dirt, dust, and any other stuff that can create damage to your kit. Lost suction, failed working, or damaged parts can be the result of dragging a vacuum without cleaning. It does not take much time to unlock it and clean. So, to expand its lifespan, make a routine of a checkout after every use. It’ll be enough to keep its functioning up to the mark.
How to clean a vacuum cleaner?
Make a routine of inspecting your vacuum to ensure that there is no blockage or damage. Blockage can become a reason for poor suction. An irregular cleaning routine can cause the machine to slow down in picking up dust and speed up the overheating. For a clean vacuum cleaner, simply switch it off or unplug it before proceeding.
How to clean vacuum filter?
If your vacuum has non-washable filters then remove and tap them against a hard surface to remove any clomp of dust . Do this outside or you will end up with a dust cloud indoors.
If your vacuum had a washable filter, flop it in lukewarm water for 24 hours. Or simply follow the instructions. Like Hoover compact clean vacuums are easily cleanable just going by the manual guide.
Another thing to have a clean vacuum is to check that it is not smelly. If your vacuum throws a smell, it could be because of not emptying and cleaning it carefully or it conceivably sucking up something. To do so, first check out the vac bag and give it a rinse with water. Wipe it with a cloth and keep it fresh. This simple technique would give you a quick clean vacuum. And, like many others, if you’re also stuck at ‘how to clean hoover WindTunnel canister’, you can follow this simple wash and wipe method.
When you clean a vacuum cleaner, make sure to check belts, hoses, and filters along with cleaning it from outside. Take a clean cloth and clean the exterior of your vac. You can also use alcohol to clean it. Take a cotton ball and rub it to the bottom of the vacuum. This can make your home bacteria-free and thus, disinfect it completely.
So by following some essential tips habitually, you can give a productive life to your machine.
How to clean vacuum cleaner brush?
A vacuum brush keeps rotating all the time and the debris like hairs and threads get messed up inside. When you use your vacuum on carpet or for removing pet danders, it becomes messier than ever. A dirty brush can spread bacteria all-around your home. Also, a dirty brush vacuum can reduce the suction power of your vacuum.
It is great that vacuums don’t come with inbuilt brushes. Vacuum brushes are just another attachment. So when you learn how to clean a vacuum brush attachment, you’ll have the key to clean a dirty brush vacuum.
How to clean a brush?
Vacuum cleaning brushes are washable. Follow these steps to clean a vacuum brush:
- Take the brush out of your vacuum cleaner and rinse it thoroughly with warm water.
- Add some drops of liquid detergent and scrub the vacuum brush with a bristle.
- It will loosen all the debris, hair, or other dirt stuck in the dirty brush.
- Make sure the grime is out of the brush. Rinse it thoroughly.
- After the washing process, keep the brush for drying it naturally.
- Vacuum brushes soak up the water, so make sure no water is left.
- During the drying process, comb the vacuum brush bristles with an old comb.
- This step will take out all the remaining grime and dirt.
- Repeat this on a regular basis, preferably weekly.
Now when you know how to clean vacuum brush, next comes learning to clean vacuum roller brushes. When you take out a roller brush, you’ll see it probably full of hairs and threads. Here are the steps to clean it:
- Take out the vacuum roller brush.
- Cut the hairs wrapped over it with the help of scissors.
- Separate hairs from the brush.
- Give it a gentle wash.
- Let it dry and put it back.
For washing the vacuum roller brushes, you can follow the same steps of cleaning and washing as those of a vacuum cleaner brush.
How to clean vacuum cleaner hose?
A hose is an important part of a vacuum. It may be a cordless hose, a small hose, or a large one. All the dirt you pick through your vacuum cleaner, travels the whole hose to reach the baggage. If the hose is blocked due to the trash, your vacuum suction power will go down drastically. So, let us learn to clean a vacuum cleaner flexible hose to clean dryers to prevent further blockages.
Cleaning cordless hose is quite easier than cleaning the corded one. You can just run water through it to rinse off all the dust.
And the corded ones, be it small hose or long, simply clean them with the solution of baking soda and vinegar.
To clean vacuum cleaner hose, follow the this easy process:
- Take the vacuum cleaner hose out of the vacuum.
- Run a flow of water so that all the junk flows out.
- Pour detergent on both the sides of the vacuum and shake it well with some force.
- Again run water through it.
- Make a baking soda and vinegar solution. Take half a cup of baking soda and spread it all over the hose.
- Pour 2 cups of vinegar in the hose and see the magic.
- You’ll see all the dirt separating from the vacuum hose.
- Repeat the process until all the grime fizzes out.
- Run hot water through the hose and cleanse it until the clean water comes out.
- Put it in the sun to dry all the moisture.
- Attach it back once it is dry.
Pro Tip: You can also use a brush to clean vacuum cleaner hose.
How to clean the inside of a vacuum cleaner hose?
While cleaning the hose, we recommended the use of baking soda solution. The inside of a vacuum cleaner hose can also be cleaned with the same process without any apprehensions. It is a completely reliable and safe method for a clean hose inside and out.
How to clean a vacuum cleaner filter?
There are various kinds of vacuum cleaners that come with their special filters. Vacuum cleaners have paper filters, washable filters, or HEPA filters. A clean filter gives the cleanest vacuuming. So, before cleaning your vacuum cleaner filter, you must know which kind of filter your vacuum has. A vacuum with more filters allows more cleaning. And thus, it demands more care for the filters.
In general, there are two filters in a vacuum cleaner. A pre-motor cleaner and a post-motor cleaner. The steps to clean all the washable filters are almost the same.
Cleaning vacuum filter step by step
In standard terms, the basic cleaning of a vacuum cleaner filter is described below. These steps can be applied to most of the vacuum filters:
- Unattach the filter from the vacuum cleaner.
- Shake it to remove dry debris.
- Rinse it with some warm water.
- Pour a few drops of dishwasher along with half a cup of baking soda.
- Scrub it gently with your hands.
- Make sure not to give a pressured force.
- Rinse again with warm water.
- Let it dry for around 24 hours.
- Reattach it with your vacuum cleaner.
How to clean Dyson filter?
- Hold the top and take the filter out.
- Place it under warm water flow.
- Let the water run through it.
- Shake it under water and squeeze it a little.
- Place it over a paper towel and let it dry completely.
- Reattach when dry.
More Cleaning Tips for Vacuum Cleaners Filters
How to clean Shark navigator lift away filter:
Such vacuums don’t use baggage systems. All the debris is picked either in the plastic container or in the filter. To clean shark HEPA filters, spray them with water. For a clean shark navigator filter, the water must finally rinse off clean.
How to clean Hoover wind tunnel cyclonic filter:
There are two filters in a hoover wind tunnel cyclonic vacuum. The primary one must be cleaned every two months or whenever required and the HEPA filter must be cleaned every six months by following the filter cleaning steps.
How to clean canister filter:
Canister vacuums are washable and can be washed with warm water and detergent.
How to unclog a central vacuum cleaner?
Have you ever struggled with a clogged vacuum? If yes, you know how it is the worst part of the whole vacuuming process. A vacuum clogged eventually blows out the dirt, loses suction, and overheats. At last, it stops working. So, it’s always advisable to prevent your vacuum cleaner from clogging. But if it’s already clogged, we’ve got you covered.
So, if you happen to deal with a clogged vacuum hose and the dirt devil vacuum not suctioning, the clog is probably in the vacuum head or vacuum cleaner hose. If not at these two places, then the clog is surely at the point where the hose meets the head.
To unclog central vacuum cleaner, first of all, unplug the vacuum from the power source and find out where the clog exists. It may be in the head, hose, or inside the actual vacuum.
- Unclog the vacuum cleaner head by flipping it over. Look inside the hose and pull out the clog by your finger. You can also use some thin gear like a screwdriver. If required, remove the brush head.
Next, unclog vacuum cleaner hose. Keep one side of the hose on a garbage bag and poke with a mop pole. Keep doing it until all the clog comes out. You can also unclog vacuum cleaner hose by the foot.
Apex hose, cordless hose, Electrolux vacuum hose, or small hose, all can be cleaned the same way. Similarly, the Dyson upright vacuum cleaner unclog
can be done to unclog vacuum hoses.
Vacuum cleaner hose extension can also be clogged. Check that too.
When the clog is in your vacuum, use your finger to identify where the clog is. Pull out as much clog as you can. Take the help of small tools or pipe cleaners.
In case of a baggage vacuum, remove the bag and check for the clog. If required, replace the bag.
In case of too much clog, shop vac hose attachments and replace the defunct ones.
Now, test your vacuum after unclogging it fully.
We have tried covering all the FAQs here like how to unclog a central vacuum cleaner, how to unclog a vacuum cleaner hose, or how to unclog a vacuum cleaner itself.
How to disinfect vacuum cleaners?
Specks of dirt and debris are full of bacteria. Bacteria causes infections and infections may cause serious diseases. The task of disinfecting your vacuum is similar to cleaning and washing it.
To disinfect vacuum cleaner:
- Separate all the removable parts of the vacuum.
- Clean each part one by one with a suitable method.
- You can use a dishwasher, detergent, baking soda, or vinegar.
- Air dry each part for around 24 hours.
- Attach all the parts back after they are completely dry.
How can I disinfect a vacuum cleaner used for rat feces?
If you also have a common query of ‘how can I disinfect a vacuum cleaner I used for rat feces’, you need:
A bleach solution, Shampoo, and Warm water.
Run warm water over the vacuum. Add a few drops of bleach solution and steam clean the vacuum. After the bleach, use shampoo and rub it with gentle hands. Rinse it with warm water.
How to disinfect a canister vacuum cleaner?
Disinfecting canister vacuum cleaners follow the steps of cleaning it with a liquid dishwasher.
Things you need:
- Microfiber Cloth
- Liquid Dishwasher
- Grout Brush
Process to follow
- Unplug the vacuum and remove the canister.
- Wipe the inside area of the canister with a microfiber cloth.
- Wash it with water and liquid dishwasher.
- Rinse out all soapy suds.
- Run fresh water through it and air dry it completely.
How to disinfect a vacuum cleaner hose?
The best way to disinfect a vacuum cleaner hose is to wash it with baking soda and vinegar solution. Start washing it with liquid detergent. Then give it a wash with baking soda and vinegar. Now again, wash it with soapy liquid detergent. Disinfecting a vacuum cleaner hose requires multiple soapy washes.
Disinfecting and cleaning a vacuum is no more an expert’s job. Simply follow the above mentioned guidelines to keep your vacuum like new.