After every 3 to 4 months, you will notice that your knife is not functioning the same. A dull knife can be annoying and dangerous. With a dull knife, you cannot cut things properly, and it is impossible to make thin slices with it. Sometimes a knife becomes so dull that it becomes slippery. There are multiple and easy ways to sharpen your knife at home. Here are some of the ways through which you can sharpen your knife.
- Knife sharpening through the stone.
- Knife sharpening through a sharpening tool.
Knife sharpening through a sharpening rod.
Step By Step Procedure to Sharpen Your Knife Through a Stone
Here is the guide.
- Read all the instructions that come with your stone. There are different varieties of stones, and there are different instructions regarding them. Such as some stones that need to be soaked in water or lubricated with oil. Other stones are used dry.
- Now hold the knife at a 20-degree angle. Place your other hand on the flat front end of the knife. This way, you can control the pressure and the angle of the knife.
- First, sharpen one side of the knife, turn the knife and sharpen the other side of the knife by following all the instructions mentioned above.
- After finishing, check the sharpness of the knife by cutting a piece of paper.
- Now clean the knife with a piece of cloth.
Step By Step Procedure to Sharpen Your Knife Through a Knife Sharpener Tool
Here is the guide.
- First of all, check the sharpness of your knife by cutting a piece of paper with it. If the knife does not cut the piece of paper smoothly, then it needs to be sharpened.
- Choose the manual knife sharpener through which you want to sharpen your knife. There are two settings in the manual knife sharpener, one is the coarse setting, and the other is the fine setting.
- The fine setting is used to maintain your knife daily. But in a coarse setting, the layer of steel is removed from your knife to sharpen it.
- Now place the knife in the sharpener in the coarse setting from the base and pull the knife slightly towards you. If your knife is slightly dull, then you have to pull the knife only 2 to 3 times, but if it is extremely dull, then you can repeat the process several times.
- Now move the handle of the knife up so that it is in inclined form and then again pull the knife. This way while the blade is completely sharpened.
- In the end, run the knife through the fine setting.
- Now check the sharpness of the knife by again cutting the piece of paper.
- Now wash the knife and clean it with a damp cloth.
Step By Step Procedure to Sharpen Your Knife Through a Honing Rod
Here is the guide.
- One thing to know is that the honing rod is not used to sharpen the severely dull knives. These are only used to maintain your knife sharpness every week.
- Now hold the honing rod in your less dominant hand and hold the knife in your dominant hand.
- The tip of the honing rod should be slightly elevated, and you should hold your knife at an angle of 20-degree.
- The angle in this type of knife sharpening is not necessary.
- Now place the knife base on the top of the honing rod and pull the knife towards yourself. Repeat this process 7 to 8 times, and your one round is completed.
- Now move the knife to the bottom of the honing rod and then start repeating the process. Again, repeat the process 7 to 8 times, and your knife is good to go.
- You should do this process regularly before using the knife.
How To Make a Knife Sharpening Angle Guide?
Those who need to sharpen their stainless-steel knives every week need a proper angle guide. You can find a whole kit of angle guides having different degrees. Every angle guide has an increase of one degree from the other, ranging from 10 to 20. You can use any of these angle guides to sharpen your knife.
You have to place the angle guide on the stone and then tie it with a rubber band if it remains at its place in the whole process. Then place the knife on the angle guide and then move it back and forth.
There is also an angle guide for honing. In honing, you have to keep the knife at the same angle, which can be tacky. With the help of that angle guide, you can easily sharpen your knife at the same angle.
In A Nutshell
There are many ways to sharpen a knife. You have to choose the option that is most suitable for you. Then you have to follow all the given instructions, and your knife is as good as new.
First of all, you have to examine the knives that you want to sharpen for knife sharpening. Then you have to check how dull the knives are by cutting any fruit. You will get the idea of the dullness of the knife by the resistance while cutting the fruit. Then you have to choose the stone through which you want to sharpen your knife. There are three types of stones. The wet stone is the stone that is soaked in water, and these stones are softer. With wet stones, you can sharpen your knife quickly, but these stones wear down easily. Oil stones are the cheap ones, and they last longer as they are made of hard material. But they are messy to use, and cleaning them is challenging. Then comes the diamond stones, which are the most expensive ones, but they last longer.