Cardinals are amazing birds with lots of personalities, and they are a pleasure to have around. They sing beautiful songs, not to mention they have that amazing, vibrant plumage. Cardinals can remain loyal to you as long as you feed them. Find the right Cardinal bird feeders, and you will notice they can become your pet for quite some time.
The idea here is to offer them proper Cardinal food, and you will have no problem keeping them near you all the time. It all comes down to figuring out what food cardinals love the most and offer it to them. Then you have to get the best Cardinal only bird feeder, and you are good to go.
You also have multiple cardinal bird feeder styles too, so it’s all up to you to see which one works within your property and whether you have a place for it or not.
TIPS TO ATTRACT CARDINALS
What you need to keep in mind is that the cardinals are non-migratory, so they are sitting within the same area all the time. What that also means is once you attracted them, they will stay in that region for quite some time, which is a very good thing since you will have them as your pet. Every cardinal needs shelter, water, and food. If you offer the right cardinal bird feeders alongside food and a place to live, you are bound to have lots of cardinal pets, not just one. Here you have a few tips to help you attract cardinals properly.
Pick the right cardinal food
We recommend you to pick high-quality food that your cardinals will eat very often. They have a thick and powerful beak, which means they can eat hearty foods and large seeds. These are white milo, black oil sunflower seeds or safflower seeds. They also like berries, cracked corn and even peanuts (crushed). One thing to consider is that suet chunks work, but these are good only during the winter. Use the best bird feeders for cardinals by Consumer Report and then make sure you fill them up with good food. Variety is key when it comes to Cardinal food, so try to take that into account if possible.
Encourage the creation of nesting sites for cardinals
Cardinals won’t use nesting boxes or birdhouses. They create their nesting sites themselves within thick plants like shrubs, tall trees or grapevines. If you have the right nesting materials nearby like grass clippings, twigs, pine needles, and other stuff like that, cardinals will soon start swarming around your property. Once you have a cardinal creating a nest nearby, others will come too if it’s safe.
Provide some shelter
As we mentioned earlier, cardinals will always look for some protection. Something as simple as a shelter can make quite the difference. If you have bushes and trees that vary in heights or thick foliage, cardinals will come to you very often. It’s a very good idea to try and plant all kinds of trees and bushes, as these attract quite a lot of cardinals.
Avoid having any frozen water on the property
Cardinals need you to refresh the still water and if possible, include a heated birdbath. Aside from a red bird feeder, you want to make sure that you heat the water properly, as that will be a very good idea. Avoid any still water too, as that will make the cardinals sick and they will eventually go away. Understanding what pushes cardinals away is what you want to do to avoid any possible problems here. Water sources are a must for having cardinals on the property, so you want to make sure that there are enough bird waterers to satisfy their needs.
Know where to place the cardinal food
Once you have the best bird feeders for cardinals, you have to figure out their proper location. Understanding where you can place the cardinal food is crucial, so try to take your time to identify the best location for something like this. Since cardinals like to have some cover while they eat, the best place to place feeders is near shrubbery or trees. Having a feeder in the open won’t be appealing for your cardinals.
FIND THE BEST TYPE OF BIRD FEEDER FOR CARDINALS
Ideally, we recommend using a cardinal only bird feeder that’s large enough to support a bird. A bird can have around 1.5 ounces. Don’t go for the lightweight models, as they can’t support the bird. Heavy-duty models are better. Platform feeders that have some trays will help a lot, and that will make more and more cardinals to come to you. They are full-breasted and rather large birds, so they need larger bird feeders, not small ones.
TYPES OF BIRD FEEDERS FOR CARDINALS
There are many types of bird feeders on the market, and each one has its own pros and cons. The most important aspect is to make sure that the cardinal bird feeders you buy are actively suitable for such a bird. Otherwise, there will be problems, and that’s the type of thing that you want to avoid. Remember, cardinals are not small birds. They are rather large, so they will end up requiring the large types of feeders, not small ones. A lot of cardinals like eating off the ground, which is a very good idea to take into consideration in a situation like this.
Cardinals like platform feeders because these will have large trays, and they can arrive in a group, not just alone. On top of that, the platform cardinals only bird feeder comes with lots of visibility for the bird and plenty of space for foraging. These also have recycled plastic, and that means it’s durable and cleaning it is very easy.
Tray style feeders
These cardinal feeders squirrel proof tend to be great because they have plenty of space as well as holes necessary for drainage. On top of that, the tray-style feeders have a dome that you can lower to prevent any unwanted birds to arrive here. It’s also offering cover against harsh weather, something that cardinals like quite a lot.
You can go with this type of cardinal feeder because they allow birds to perch on the side, hop on the tray and obtain great visibility. Most of these units also have a roof, and that will give you a bit more protection against the harsh weather.
Squirrels can be quite a problem as they will try to jump on these feeders and eat some of the seeds too. The best cardinal feeder squirrel proof can have a simple design; they will also include various rings to keep squirrels away. Cardinals don’t like tube style feeders, but the fact that you have a ring will make it more cardinal-friendly.
BENEFITS OF USING A CARDINAL BIRD FEEDER
It’s extremely important to take good care of your cardinals, as they are extraordinary birds, and they will stay around your home if you feed them often. Why should you buy a cardinal feeder? Are there any benefits from getting cardinal bird feeders, or will general ones do the trick? Let’s find out.
- A good cardinal bird feeder is created specifically to hold these large birds. Smaller feeders will be unsuitable for your cardinals, and they will fly away to find other food sources. This is one of the main reasons why cardinal bird feeders are extremely important to buy.
- Also, the cardinal feeders are very durable. They can withstand a lot of pressure, manufacturers create them out of high-quality materials and that means they will last for a very long time. Even if it might not seem like a lot at first, the benefits you can get from these products are extraordinary.
- Cleaning up a cardinal feeder is a lot easier than regular feeders. Most feeders tend to be complicated and with various tubes. A cardinal feeder is simple, convenient, and it will include a ring at most. That means the design is amazing, simplistic and it delivers exactly what you need without rushing!
- They won’t hurt your bird either. If you have an improper feeder, the chances are that your bird will get hurt due to numerous bells and whistles added to that feeder. If you go with a specialized cardinal only bird feeder, the chances of dealing with problems like that are very low. That’s why you always want to pick only a professional bird feeder for cardinals.
- Most cardinal feeders are also very easy to fill. They tend to be some of the simplest feeders on the market, they offer ease of use and efficiency while also delivering a great experience.
- Besides, feeders for cardinals tend to be large. They are inviting not only for a cardinal but for multiple cardinals at the same time. That’s why you want to go for heavy-duty, cardinal bird feeders as they can withstand the weight of multiple birds at once. It’s something most bird feeders can’t do.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING A CARDINAL FEEDER
- The first thing you want to consider is the material used for the feeder. Since cardinals are on the heavier side when compared to other birds, you want a feeder made out of brass or even metal. They can have other parts of plastic, but the bottom and structure should be metallic for added protection.
- Size-wise you want the feeder to be as large as possible. The cardinal is a large bird, so you want to offer him enough place to move around.
- If you want to have more than one cardinal on the red bird feeder, you should consider getting a feeder with multiple trays.
- Anti-squirrel features are a must. You can go with cardinal feeders squirrel proof for the best results.
- Since bird feeders can easily be messy, you want to avoid that by getting a feeder that’s easy to clean. Most specialized cardinal feeders are easy to clean, but you still want to take this into account, just to be safe.
- Checking some reviews online to check durability can also help you identify which is the better option, so keep that in mind if possible.
WHAT TYPE OF BIRD FEEDERS SHOULD I CHOOSE FOR THE CARDINALS?
Ideally, you want to go with those bird feeders that are a pleasure to use and very adaptable to your requirements. The best approach is to pick large cardinal bird feeders with a tray or more than one tray if possible. Get a squirrel proof cardinal feeder if possible, to be safe. And while there, we also recommend you not to be afraid and invest a bit more in the feeder.
Even if some cardinal feeders are a bit expensive, they can bring in an extraordinary return on investment. The main focus is to get a durable bird feeder. Tray-based feeders or platform feeders are usually the best for cardinals. Don’t be afraid to go for the large feeders, but remember that these can also attract large birds too. Study your region and see what type of birds are there, if there are some large birds you may want to have a medium-sized feeder.
FEEDER AND PRODUCT RECOMMENDATIONS
One of the main advantages of the Brome 1024-V01 is that it has a free cardinal ring, and that will also keep squirrels away. It denies access to seeds if you’re not a cardinal, which is a very good thing. It’s a rather large unit, so you need around 47 cm of clearance on all sides. The good thing is that you are offering a lot of food for your cardinals, which is very exciting. This is also a chew-proof product, so even if animals get to it, this will be safe.
Another great thing is that the feeder can be dismantled by hand, so even if there are issues you can do some repairs. It’s also notable that they have a seed ventilation system, and you can adjust the unit too.
Right from the start, you see that the Perky-Pet C00322 is a red bird feeder and great for cardinals. The design here is great since it has a circular mesh and perch surface with plenty of space for multiple cardinals. On top of that, the product is zinc-plated, it also comes with great rust resistance, and that makes a lot of sense for durable cardinal feeders. It can hold around 2.5 lb of cardinal food. And the good thing is that it also has a shelter for birds, which we found to be very helpful and convenient. Cleaning it up will not be a chore, which is even better. The product is very dependable, and at this price it’s unbeatable.
The Twinkle Star Wild Bird Feeder has a great design, and that comes with some amazing features too. The fact that it’s made out of high-quality plastic makes it durable enough to withstand cardinals. Yet at the same time, it’s light enough so you can easily carry it around. The lighthouse shape also offers some protection for your cardinals, which is what they like. The product comes with a very high capacity, it can hold around 1.9 lb of seeds, and you can use a huge range of cardinal food here. Monitoring and filling the cardinal feeder is a pleasure, and you will find the entire experience to be both exciting and rewarding at the same time. It’s an exciting and powerful product with a stylish design and suitable for cardinals in particular.
If you want great cardinal food, Wagner’s 62032 Cardinal Blend is maybe the best one on the market. They have the perfect blend of black oil sunflower seeds and safflower seeds on the 60/40 ratio. They also have a mixture of high oil content in those seeds. That helps you ensure the seeds will stay fresh for quite some time, and in the end, your cardinal will enjoy all this food without a problem. The Velcro press-lock allows you to keep the cardinal food fresh for multiple days too. Even if you open up the bag, the fact that you can lock it again to maintain its freshness can really make quite the difference.
This is not imported food as well. It’s made in the US, it’s very good and super high quality. They are offering 6 lbs of food here, which is quite enough for multiple feeding sessions. We believe that the food quality and amount is more than enough to justify the price!
The Audubon Park 12231 Cardinal Blend also comes with the stellar combination of safflower and black oil sunflower seeds. This is a product suitable for most types of cardinals. It’s also created by a family-owned business and fully natural. There are no chemicals used here, which is always a plus. You can use it on a platform, large or any feeders out there.
One thing to note is that it comes in a 4 lbs bag, which makes it a bit more expensive than other cardinal food options out there. But the quality speaks for itself, which is why we would recommend you give this product a try.
THINGS TO AVOID
It’s extremely important to make sure that you are investing in a food cardinal bird feeder. That means you have to figure out what kind of stuff you really need to avoid. Here are some ideas to take into consideration:
- Stay away from low-quality cardinal feeder models. Sure, they might seem very affordable, but more often than not you are getting what you are paying for it. The best approach is to just go for a higher and more durable model. You pay more at once, but it will last for a very long time, so it will be worth it all the time.
- Stick to the larger options and avoid small feeders. The small feeders won’t fit the cardinals, and they will not come to the feeder to eat anything. Large models are preferred here.
- Feed your cardinal only with high-quality food. Low-quality cardinal food will make it unappealing for them to come to you, and that can become a major problem. Invest in higher quality food, and you will notice cardinals will come to you a lot more often due to that.
- Don’t place your cardinal bird feeders in the middle of the backyard with no shade. Cardinals need shade when they are eating their seeds, so that’s something that you want to consider from the start.
- Avoid going for extremely colorful models. Red and earth-like colors are the only ones that make sense. Some cardinals might like super colorful feeders (bright yellow, blue or green), but many of them will stay away from those.
We believe that it’s a very good idea to take your time and find the best cardinal bird feeders to suit your needs. While there, you should also make sure that you invest in some high-quality cardinal food, to be safe. It’s important to understand how your cardinals live, what food they like and what conditions you need to offer them to keep them around.
The fact that these are non-migratory birds makes them perfect pets. As long as you offer them fresh water, high-quality cardinal food and anything similar to that, it will be fine. Try to find the best type of bird feeder for cardinals and then install it close to dense trees or plants, offer these great birds stellar food, and you will have no problem keeping them close to you in the long run!