Those living in the chilly areas knows the importance of burning fire constantly to keep the home cozy. And the most traditional and famed way of fueling a fireplace is undoubtedly wood. But this is the scenario we all see. What goes behind the scenes to procure that wood hits the head of the family hard. He’s the one who has to ensure a regular supply of wood throughout.
Now, he ventures out in the evenings to double as a lumberjack to get that wood down. And his best companion? The chainsaw. While chainsaws are great for getting our share of wood, it does get its share of household chores when not slicing the trees in the wild. Pruning our garden and shaping our hedges are also chainsaw’s forte.
And to do all this comfortably, it has to be easy to pick and hold for hours without feeling weary. So, a lightweight chainsaw is the best household chainsaw one can get. Let’s go through some of the likes that are rated the best lightweight chainsaws by consumer reports too.
5 Best Lightweight Chainsaws Reviewed
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
Makita XCU02PT X2 is a battery-operated chainsaw that works with 18V Lithium-Ion batteries. You will receive two such batteries as part of the package and a Dual port charger that lets you charge both batteries at the same time. It allows you to spend more time working rather than waiting for the batteries to get fully charged. The design features a 12-inch bar and tool-less tension adjustment mechanism. The powerful motor delivers excellent speed and works silently. The noise levels are around 89 db(A) as compared to 112 db(A) in the case of gas chainsaws. The brushless motor increases motor life by up to 50%.
BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 is a cordless, battery-operated chainsaw that runs via 40V battery. The powerful battery ensures longer runtime that can last up to five times longer than its competitors. The 12-inch premium bar features low kickback for delivering a safe wood-cutting experience. This chainsaw comes with an automatic oil lubricating system that maintains the bar and chain for long. A fully wrap-around handle adds efficient maneuverability to the product. You can comfortably work for long hours with the provision of this comfortable grip. The unit allows tool-free tensioning for quick chain adjustments. Weighing at around 10 pounds, BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 is lightweight to work with.
Also Read: Best Lightweight Vacuum Cleaners for Seniors
GreenWorks G-MAX DigiPro runs on a 40V battery delivering an impressive runtime. The 16-inch bar helps you to perform any major carving with ease. It comes with a powerful brushless motor generating more torque for effective cutting. It operates silently and safely with low kickback chain and electronic chain brake installed. The power-packed performance and brilliant safety features make this tool useful for both beginners and advanced users. GreenWorks 20312 has a translucent oil tank and automatic oiling system. The limbing chainsaw is comparable to gas-powered alternatives for the comfort and performance it delivers. It takes away the pain of mixing oil and gas as well as managing pull cords.
Remington RM4216 is fitted with a powerful 42cc engine which is gas-powered. A 16-inch bar and 5-point anti-vibration system makes it convenient to use for long hours. Cushion-wrapped handle has also been added for a comfortable carving experience. It is the best tool for home use and comes with a heavy-duty case for transportation as well. For easy maintenance, this small gas chainsaw provides a tool-free access to the spark plug and filter. For maintaining the chain’s quality, the tool is equipped with an adjustable automatic oiler. The best feature of Remington RM4216 Rebel is its quickstart technology that lets you get into your work with an easy pull start.
Worx WG303.1 is a powerful tool with 14.5 Amp power and a 16 inches long bar. The design includes an oversized knob that secures the bar and chain together. It helps in maintaining the tension while you work. At just 11 lbs, this tiny chainsaw is extremely light and easy to carry. Worx WG303.1 receives power through an electric cord. Containing 57 chain links, the tool features low kickback for your safety. This chainsaw comes with an automatic oil system for smooth performance and an auto-tension system tightening. Even when used at the maximum horsepower, it works with stability. Worx offers a 3-year warranty on this model keeps you covered for any natural damages.
Things to consider before buying the Best Lightweight Chainsaw
To buy a lightweight chainsaw that is suitable for all your household utility chores, getting clarity of few things would save you a lot of time and effort.
Source of Power
The first thing to consider is the source you’ll have to use to run the chainsaw. Each power source is intertwined with the purpose of buying the chainsaw. As both are dependent on each other, let’s understand them side by side:
- Gas-powered chainsaws are run on gas and are suitable to take to far off places to cut down heavy trees. Eg: Remington RM 4216 Chainsaw model.
- Electric-powered chainsaws are run on electricity and can be used within the vicinity of our homes or gardens near a power outlet. They are suitable for pruning hedges and cutting medium branches. They work great as starter chainsaw. Eg: Oregon Battery Chainsaw.
- Battery-operated chainsaws are run on stored energy of the battery which are chargeable when the battery dies down. They can be taken out of our homes but their run time decides their capacity. They can also be used to cut medium branches. Eg: LCS 1020 Chainsaw model.
For selecting your perfect size, think all kinds of trees you might cut with your chainsaws. If the answer is big trees, get one with a bar length of 18 inches or above.
Otherwise for pruning your backyard, a 12 or 14 inches chain would suffice.
Safety feature is a must in any chainsaw to avoid any unfortunate incident. Make sure the chainsaw you are going to buy has an anti-kickback lock feature.
Also Read: The 10 Best Gas Ranges For 2020
For household chores, the lighter the chainsaw more comfortable it is. Heavier chainsaws are apt for industrial purposes. Get the lightest chainsaw if all you want is a portable chainsaw knife.
How do I know when my chainsaw needs sharpening?
- Regular use of chainsaw would lead to its wear and tear, especially of the chain and it’ll need to sharpen it again. And to be sure that your chain needs some work, look for the following signs:
- If your chainsaw needs to be pushed with pressure, not guidance, into the tree;
- It is pushing itself in one direction only giving a crooked cut;
- Even after lubrication, it smokes a lot;
- It is bouncing during cutting; and
- Instead of coarser chunks, the sawdust is coming off fine.
How to sharpen the chain of my chainsaw?
- The best way to sharpen your chainsaw is to use a chainsaw sharpener due to the safety associated with its use. These appliances are made in a way so as not to hurt anyone while at work. Another way would be to get it done from a professional adept at doing so. The rate for getting the chainsaw sharpened is generally around $12 to $20 depending upon the length of the chain. And lastly, one can also sharpen the chainsaw at home with the help of a filer but one needs to be extra cautious while doing so.
Can I use my chainsaw on wet wood?
- Yes, you can. Many people claim that cutting dry wood and wet wood with the chainsaw is the same thing but it actually isn’t. Using chainsaw on wet wood is always going to be a bit more difficult than otherwise. The chain will find it difficult to go beyond the wet bark. All you’d need is some extra pressure and effort.
But if you don’t want the botheration, go for a bigger chainsaw and that too, the one that gets automatically oiled. They are strong enough to cut through the wet logs.
Which chainsaw is best to use in rain?
- Using chainsaw in rain is not a great idea as it will certainly result in rusted blades. But when you need to fuel your fireplace for autumn and winters, chances are high that you’ll have to cut those trees down in the rain. Gas-powered chainsaws are the perfect fit for wet weather. The electric chainsaws and the ones run on battery can be a great risk. But to be safe, always follow all the safety precautions:
- Do not use a chainsaw in heavy rain or storm. As per statistics, the biggest contributory factor in chainsaw accidents is windy and rainy weather.
- Check for any slippery areas surrounding your work area. Get a solid grip while working.
- Wear protective gear like gloves and boots to prevent any accident. Also, if you’re using an electric chainsaw, try to protect its motor from water. Protect the battery of the battery-operated chainsaw.
- Wear rubber gloves and boots to prevent yourself from electric shock.
Chainsaw is an important equipment in our homes and we all need it at some point or the other. Be it for pruning bushes or cutting big logs, chainsaw comes in handy more often than not. But this is not all while considering to buy the best lightweight chainsaw out there. As per statistics, 36,000 injuries happened due to chainsaw got registered in The States and the number is on the rise each year. That highlights the major deciding factor to buy your perfect chainsaw and that is safety. Never choose price, design or features over safety. Shop wisely, stay safe.